Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I met Dana at Whipstitch

lulabellsdaughter & Made

Oh yes I did. 

When I heard that Dana Willard was going to be signing her new book at Whipstitch, I had to figure out a way to make down there.  I have been reading Dana’s blog Made for a while now.  Probably since I started reading blogs.  Even though she has some great sewing tutorials, I probably remember her for her freezer stenciling the best.  That and her love of Project Runway. 

She was very nice and easy to talk to too!  She said that I looked familiar, but seeing as how this is only the second time in blog history that I have posted my photo I said that she wouldn’t have known me.  {That and I’m pretty sure she hasn’t seen my little blog.}  I also made sure to mention that we had shared a few emails over picking out geranimals shirts at WM though. 

Then I asked if she would mind taking a photo with me so that I could share it on said little blog that I have been totally neglecting.  And then it happened.  I could feel my skin burning.  Can you see it in the picture?  Of course you can!  I was going to edit out the fact that it looks like I have some kind of skin condition, but really it just adds to it doesn’t it?  I really wasn’t nervous ya’ll.  I don’t know what happened. 

This is what she signed.

2012-07-17 2012-07-17 006

I’m really glad I got her book, Fabrics A to Z, because it wasn’t what I was expecting.  I know she had talked about what her book was about, but somehow it escaped me that it was really like a dictionary of fabrics.  As I looked at it that night I really wanted to read it to my husband  (but I didn’t because he would have given me the same look as when he tries to explain velocity and grain and  . . . I don’t know what else because my eyes glaze over).  But check it out, this book has words like acetate, wood pulp cellulose, natural weed suppressor, and 1940s movie stars.  I know!   Not only does it have handy information like properties, how to work with it, and care instructions, but there is other neat information as well.  I’m so glad that I have added this one into my sewing library. 

2012-07-17 2012-07-17 004

3 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Look at you!

Okay---when I get really nervous or mad, I get that too. From my chest up to my chin! Here in my little Southern family, we call it the "speckled ape's ass." It's so inappropriate, but funny. I have no idea where that name came from, but it cracks me up!

:)

Samantha said...

EEK!! How. stinkn'. FUN!! :D

{And seriously. You are so pretty!}

lisa said...

Ok, Lainey-Paney I will NOT be calling it that . . . unless its about somebody else.

Samantha, thanks! Its so sweet of you to say so!